Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain guide

Rider 101

I am still running my OEM Guide with no probs or noises. Havent had to readjust chain since the initial fitting of the guide.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, didier said:

Just wondering. Do you have to remove chain guid when removing the wheel?

On 12/17/2020 at 4:40 PM, Limey said:

No.

My T7 has the OEM chain guide, and I'm obviously doing something wrong.

On my previous chain driven bikes, once the axle was loose or removed I slid the rear wheel forward enough to enable removing the chain from the rear sprocket and drape it onto the swingarm. That allowed me to drop/slide the wheel assembly out and then remove the sprocket carrier from the hub.

I recently removed the T7's rear wheel for the first time, and the chain guide kept me from getting sufficient chain slack to remove it from the sprocket. Once I unbolted the guide from the swingarm, no problem.

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

On 6/22/2021 at 3:16 PM, REDHORSECA said:

I went with and installed  the Primary Drive Rear Chain Guide.

UxJXh86.jpg

FL0YxxU.jpg

On 12/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, didier said:

Just wondering. Do you have to remove chain guid when removing the wheel?

With the Primary Drive Chain Guide I have on my T7, I do have to remove the polyethylene chain rub block to remove the rear wheel.

You only have to remove the bottom two bolts with and Allen key and a 10mm wrench for the nyloc nut. Easily accessible for removal and reinstallation, 2 minute job.

You pull the axle and chain adj aluminum blocks out to get enough chain slack to get the chain off the rear sprocket.

I've done it three times now when I replaced the rear worn tire and when I had a flat on a OEM inner tube.

I have a Alpina tubeless wheel set with my knobby tires for offroading, for easy flat repairs in the boonies. The OEM wheels have my street biassed tires for commuting and longer tire mileage. I've swapped between my rear wheels once for ADV camping trip I was going on, which accounts for the third rear wheel swap.

• 1 month later...

Another one for the Primary Drive Chain Guide from RMATV/MC. I choose this mainly because it's cheaper than OEM (Yamaha should have included a chain guide) and the replaceable rub blocks seem like a good idea.

chain in

921030839_ChainGuide3.thumb.jpg.a0ee17979d5d2d81982a383220b63d60.jpg

chain out

1949804061_ChainGuide1.thumb.jpg.d7166de2513fd8c79a229e525135a195.jpg

After a test ride, all looks good - no unusual noise or wear. I splurged and put a drop of Loctite on the fasteners.

• Like 3

Hello,

I have two OEM chain guides/ toe protectors one that I purchased as part of the rally kit and the other as a replacement from Yamaha.

Both caused excessive noise from the chain rubbing even after returning the bike to the dealer for the first service and inspection. 

The Dealers mechanic tried to adjust the chain but was unable to fix it so removed the Chain guide and ordered a replacement.   

I ordered a accerbis Chain guide and fitted it myself problem sorted.

If anyone who wants a OEM Chain guide I have two that will annoy the hell out of you.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, Hammerhead said:

I’m rolling the OEM unit & it could be one of the few joys of 24/7 tinnitus (combined with too late use of earplugs), but I don’t hear a problem with it. Works fine…it’s a motorcycle, they make noise….

Same here, maybe its the tinnitus, but I have never heard or noticed my chain noise, my first thought reading this forum was they must not use as much chain lube as I do.

The chain will rub on it when properly adjusted, and to me makes not enough noise to be noticeable.

• 4 weeks later...

I've installed Acerbis Chain Guide on my T7. My question would be, is it normal, that chain is touching the lower removable plate of the guide? Or is it designed this way. This is my first chain guide, so I'm not sure if my chain is adjusted correctly. 

Then fist check your chain adjustment i would say.
I'm not sure with mine if it touches (also have the Acerbis).

I think my chain rubs on the lower guide plate.

Have a look at the last photo on page 1 with the lower plate removed.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I checked mine and it was touching but then i checked the slack and it was way too much.
After adjusting it's not touching anymore with the slack on 45mm.

Mine touches.  However, if it wears out I'll chuck it out and get a better one.  Cheap Chinese one.  I don't expect it to last.  As soon as the snow melts around here I'll attempt to wear it out.